Sunday, December 23, 2007

van cleef suing heidi. how dare they!


I was so upset to read this hear this news...apparently, Van Cleef & Arpels is suing Klum's company, GmbH, and Mouawad USA, another brand for which she has created items, for upwards of $25,000 worth of damages. Legal papers claim that Heidi has profited from Van Cleef's reputation by producing accessory lines similar to the gem corporation's clover-themed Alhambra line.

I can see the correlation---they are both clovers---but other than that, I think this is a bit of a stretch. Klum loves clovers....and I don't see how a common plant can be trademarked by a jeweler?

Heidi (so cute!) has called the four-leaf flora her favorite symbol of good fortune. "I hope the pieces are true good-luck charms for the women who wear them," she said at the unveiling of her finery on home shopping network QVC.

What do you think? I think they should let it go...someone who buys from the van cleef line would NEVER shop as low of a price point and klum's line anyways. I'm all about copywrite protection but this is just too much of a stretch.

No comments: