Thursday, September 13, 2007

Ethan Hawke + Esquire :: The Hottest State

I really haven't been a huge Ethan Hawke fan since his more indie, angst-ridden days [see left]. I thought it was pretty bitchy [and juvenile!] to get mad at Uma because she became more famous. I like to call that the Ryan Philippe syndrome.

However, I must say. The Hottest State--as a book--not that bad. I haven't seen the movie yet but as I was reading through my favorite magazine, Esquire, I fell in love with Hawke all over again when I read his review of his Hottest State.

You can read the whole thing here.

My favorite part:

And in case this is the best "review" I get, I'd like to close with one quote: Webber and Catalina Sandino Moreno light the screen with all the fire, passion, regret, lust, and indifference of young love, earning a place in the legacy of cinema giants. So if you see that sentence printed in bold above the ad for The Hottest State in your local paper, you can wink to yourself in full knowledge that my endeavor was not a finely observed tale of youth, growth, and redemption, but a small, sad, self-congratulatory failure -- a film whose best review was written by its own director.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love Ethan since a long long time. I think that he didn't happy with Uma because they are so much different each other. Uma is a movie star and she love this lifestile but Ethan doesn't. He gave a break on his career because of their kids and Uma didn't that. It's hard to live like celebrities. For him and her I guess.The Hottest State was a box office failure but only who felt in love could understand this beautiful film.