Thursday, November 29, 2007

John Mayer weighs in on Pop Music


I knew we were meant to be together. Yep, I'm in love.

He posted a list of his favorite songs from Pop Music these days and they are almost all exactly in sync with mine. I knew I had good taste, despite my ex boyfriends.

Unfortunately he doesn't have his blog setup for specific links to posts (get on it MAYER!) so I'll just link to his blog and quote him here:

Those of you who've known me for a while are probably familiar with my firm defensive stance when it comes to the state of pop music. I don't hate things because they have a large audience, and often times I think they have a large audience because they're really good. Like any entertainment landscape, some moments in time are better than others, but I think pop music is on a hot streak right now. Sure, I downloaded the newly-released Miles Davis Quintet live album, and it's wonderful, but I love current events more than I do history. In defense of the state of pop music being exciting these days, I present to you my 5 favorite tracks of RIGHT NOW. They're great.

Not "actually" great, as in "I expected them to suck and I'm reluctantly giving it up" great. Just stand-out pop music of today.


Paramore - Misery Business - This girl can sing her ass off, the melodies are killer, and the lyrics take about a dozen listens to really take in. (When it Rains is KILLING ME, so I'm throwing it in too. Big hit song to be.)

Lovestoned/I Think She Knows (Interlude) - Justin Timberlake - Not so much for the "Lovestoned" part, but for the 45 seconds of ultimate sonic bliss that is "I Think She Knows. It's JT's breakthrough moment as an artist; a novel mix of Coldplay guitar lines, hip hop beats and a vocal approach somewhere in between. When that track comes on I spend the first 3:30 preparing for the awesomeness to come. Then I yell at the speakers, "Make this 4 minutes long and put it on the next disc!"

Tattoo - Jordin Sparks - I don't really know who Jordin Sparks is as an artist, but the song is great. All people want is a melody and some words they believe are actually coming from the heart of the singer, and even though I'm sure it's not self-penned, I buy it. It gets me. Mission accomplished.

Love Song - Sara Barieilles - What a chorus. What a chorus!!! This one is gonna go far. The lyrics, the cadence, the melody and the chords all stack up and KILL it. The whole song is great, but it's all about the chorus. Not enough songs like this. Verses make tension, chorus brings release...

Over You - Daughtry - AMA well deserved. High five.

And of course Alicia's
Like You'll Never See Me Again makes me choke up like a little girl. I call it "Magenta Rain".

Well said, JM.

No comments: